Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Dinner With General Tao



This is what I had for dinner, I was in the mood for asian and decided on General Tao's Tofu. I gotta tell you it is the best, I have it at least once a week this is one of my mainstay vegan asian meals. Give it a try you truly won't be disappointed.



General Tao's Tofu


Ingredients:

1 box of firm or extra firm tofu
egg substitute for 1 egg (I use flaxseeds)
3/4 cup cornstarch
canola oil for frying


1/4 of a regular onion
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 Tbs minced garlic
2/3 cup vegetable stock
3 Tbs soy sauce
4 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs seasoned rice vinegar
Red pepper to taste

Steamed rice or noodles

Directions:

Drain, dry and cut tofu into 1 inch chunks, or you can purchase the prechunked tofu. You can freeze your tofu overnight for a more chewy texture, but it isn't necessary.

Mix the egg replacer as specified on the box and add an additional 3 tablespoons water. Dip tofu in egg replacer/water mixture and coat completely.

Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Watch out that the cornstarch doesn't clump up at the bottom of the bowl. I usually use a large ziploc bag and shake it like a polaroid picture :) until the tofu pieces are evenly coated.

Heat canola oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain tofu on paper towels.

Heat 3 Tablespoons canola oil in pan on medium heat. Add onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about 1 - 2 minutes on med high. Be careful not to burn garlic.

Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper( if used) and vinegar. Mix 2 Tablespoons water with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and pour into mixture stirring well. Add fried tofu and coat evenly. Serve immediately over your choice of rice or noodles.

I usually double the ingredients for the sauce. I've found that there really isn't enough sauce without doubling, I've even tripled it but, that was a bit too much sauce. Try it and see which works best for you. Increase or decrease the amount of red pepper flakes dependant on the amount of spiciness you desire.

This is truly a wonderful meal, be sure to drop me a line and let me know what you think when you try it. I'm sure you'll love it.

Pleasantly full,

MXS

No comments: